Welcome to the Native Village of Barrow
The Native Village of Barrow (NVB) considers its employees to be its most valuable asset. NVB selects employees to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a job within the Northernmost Iñupiaq Traditional Government of the United States. NVB upholds the unique history and culture of the Iñupiaq People who have resided in the Arctic from time immemorial. The Iñupiaq People have survive in one of the harshest environments in the world, subsisting off of the land, in tune with nature. It is this strong cultural historical connection to our forefathers of Native Village of Barrow, who believed in self-governance and self-sufficiency, as an employee of NVB, Quyanaq for supporting and continuing this strong tradition of carrying on our Kiŋuniipta, our familiesí, legacy into the technological era of the 21st Century.
1.2 Employment Policies and Law.
A. Indian Preference. As a federally recognized sovereign Tribe and authorized P.L. 93-638 Compactor, NVB gives preference for training and employment to qualified candidates who are Alaskan Natives and/or American Indian.
1. Application for employment from Alaska Natives and/or American Indians meeting qualifications for a vacant position shall be considered first and exclusively. NVB may hire the most qualified and suitable candidate from this applicant pool without consideration of non-Native applicants.
2. If no candidate is available from among the Native preference applicant pool, NVB may consider all other applications submitted for qualified and suitable candidate(s).
B. Equal Employment Opportunity. Except as otherwise provided in subsection (A), it is the policy of NVB to provide equal employment opportunity and not to discriminate in recruitment, employment, compensation, promotion and all other conditions of employment against an individual because of race, sex, age, color, marital status, change in marital status, national origin, ethnic or cultural affiliation, physical handicap, pregnancy or parenthood, religious beliefs or practices.
1. This policy shall be applicable to all contractors and subcontractors performing work for NVB.
2. The Executive Director shall be responsible for monitoring compliance with this subsection.
3. The Executive Director shall take any and all administrative actions as may be required to ensure compliance with the intent of this policy and with court orders or decisions of a duly-constituted equal employment opportunity and/or human rights commission having jurisdiction over NVB.
4. The NVB is authorized to collect race and national origin data from applicants for the purposes of meeting EEO reporting requirements.
C. Employment of Minors. NVB shall adhere to applicable laws as it relates to the employment of minors.